Treasurer (Volunteer/Steering Committee)
Adoptive Families of Hong Kong (AFHK) is a nonprofit registered charity comprised of families from diverse social, economic and cultural backgrounds, along with adult adoptees and professionals brought together by the common bond of adoption and/or foster care.
Formally established in 1993 the organisation provides resources, information, support and social activities to families at all stages of the adoption process and to professionals and others involved in providing adoption services as well as a resource for adoptees and birth families. AFHK activities are currently conducted mostly in English with some limited Cantonese events.
Adoptive Families of Hong Kong is looking for a volunteer Steering Committee member level Treasurer who is enthusiastic to support our organisational mission. This position is a required role in the Articles of Association as AFHK is a registered non-profit organisation. Hours contributed are entirely flexible as long as required duties are fulfilled but is reasonably minimal. As part of the Steering Committee, the role has the opportunity to help shape the organisation to advocate the adoption vision and has access to the many meaningful events throughout the year. This position reports to the Co-Chairs of AFHK.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs the keeping of proper books of account which is on a cloud-based Quick Books system, including the input of records and download of PayPal transactions for input, etc.
- Periodically checks AFHK website payments which are all automatically recorded by the online system.
- Ensures availability of financial information to Steering Committee and regular members, and advises Steering Committee regarding financial direction of the organization including preparing annual budget.
- Assesses budget for occasional larger events (2-3 per year) and liaises with events team on meeting these requirements.
- Oversees account audits which are electively done every few years for transparency purposes, and liaises with auditing accountant and Assistant Treasurer. (As a registered charity, AFHK is exempt from submitting annual audited accounts.)
- Doesn’t handle cash or have access to bank accounts
- Serves as point of contact for AFHK bank account and liaising with bank when required.
- Desired skill set: Accounting, finance, business, or quantitative experience or background, working knowledge of spreadsheet and accounting software applications, strong communication skills.
- Accounting, finance, business, or quantitative experience or background
- Working knowledge of spreadsheets and accounting software applications
- Strong communication skills
- Introductory letter
- CV and
- As the role may come across confidential information, the contact information (email, phone number, and relationship to you) for two people willing to be contacted and serve as references, including at least one former work supervisor is requested.
Please submit complete applications via email to:
You may find further information about our organisation at http://www.afhk.org.hk